Subject: [PATCH] Support dhcpcd in dhcp-client-service-type
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 17:12:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: Sören Tempel <[email-masked]>

This patch series add support for an alternative DHCP client to
dhcp-client-service-type. This is necessary as, currently,
dhcp-client-service-type only supports the ISC DHCP implementation
and this implementation has reached its end-of-life in 2022(!).
For more information, refer to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68619>.

Specifically, this patch series adds support for dhcpcd. However, it
is not yet enabled by default. Nonetheless, I would strongly suggest
enabling it by default at a later point in time.

In order to enable dhcpcd add the following to /etc/config.scm:

	(service dhcp-client-service-type
	         (dhcp-client-configuration
	           (package dhcpcd)))

I have done some basics tests with this change applied with both
dhcpcd and isc-dhcp. Further tests and feedback would be much
appreciated!

Sören Tempel (2):
  gnu: Add dhcpcd.
  services: dhcp: Support the dhcpcd implementation.

 gnu/packages/admin.scm      | 42 +++++++++++++++++++
 gnu/services/networking.scm | 84 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 2 files changed, 102 insertions(+), 24 deletions(-)

base-commit: 29c26a8d308286cf378ce9cfa3d73e3d1454263d