Subject: Re: [bug#68498] [PATCH] guix-install.sh: Make Guix modules available too.
From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 16:37:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi,

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
[..]
>> I don't quite like the status quo where Guix System is different from
>> Guix on a foreign distribution for dubious reasons.  Either we expose
>> the Guix modules as part of the guix-install.sh or perhaps we can avoid
>> exposing them on Guix System, for consistency.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Sorry for the delay.  It’s probably not that big a deal so if you think
> this improves user experience, go for it; I don’t want to block this
> change.  Worst that can happen is we change our mind and revert it,
> that’s OK.

"Great".  I was very much in favor of this change initially: Have a
consistent Guix UX whether it be in Guix System or on a foreign distro.

Ludovic convinced me it might adverely affect the UX of the foreign
system, so yeah, I also don't know.

Most users that install Guix on a foreign system might be converting to
Guix and look for more Guix consistancy, or they might.

Let's have the universe tell us what it thinks.  We tried the current
situation and it's not great.

Pushe to master as 78390634d76c0c75c6e93742fa7caec965194641.

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com