Subject: Re: bug#67870: 29.1; Eglot missing or un-findable advertised feature
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:59:54 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 7:10 PM Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Of course it's easy for *you* to find;

Well, yes.  That's why I wrote "IMO" which abbreviates
"in my opinion".  I don't have control over your _opinion_
it's just, like, your opinion.

> I wouldn't have filed a bug if I wasn't having trouble,

I hope you are out of trouble now :-)

> in the eglot manual around these commands (e.g. quickfix, action,
> rewrite), I wouldn't have had any trouble.  "fix" by itself is a bit too short and common to be a good search keyword.

No need to justify yourself so much, but I find this odd.
For example, a simple text search within the Eglot manual for
"action" yields this as the second result in the end of the
very section you were reading.

   • In addition to enabling and enhancing other features and packages,
     Eglot also provides a number of user commands based on the
     capabilities of language servers.  Examples include renaming
     symbols with ‘eglot-rename’ and asking to automatically correct
     problems with ‘eglot-code-actions’.  *Note Eglot Commands::.

And "code actions" and "quickfix" and "rename" are easily found
in the manual's index, also just a C-s (isearch) away.

It's very good that you are using Eglot's manual, but IMO
glancing through a high-level overview of features is not
sufficient to learn how to use it.  You need at least skim the
remainder of the manual. Packages in Emacs are controlled via
commands, and so the "Eglot Commands" section is very relevant
to use Eglot.  That section is amply referenced through the
manual.

Maybe I'll add something to the existing "For the  impatient"
section.  Until then, I consider this bug report solved, so
I'm closing it.

João