Subject: 28.2; emacs crash after single C-g
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:59:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sorry I do not have a minimal test case.

Since a long time ago, single C-g crashes emacs for me so when there is
something long running blocking emacs, it is not possible to reliably
interrupt it.

I observe this behaviour often when using the notmuch email client and
trying to display a long thread.  When notmuch block emacs for ages and
I press single C-g, sometimes I get the following crash:

Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5251c8]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x41f4e6]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x41f9e8]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x523398]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x52341c]
/nix/store/46m4xx889wlhsdj72j38fnlyyvvvvbyb-glibc-2.37-8/lib/libc.so.6(+0x38d60)[0x7f6e33852d60]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5efcba]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5eff11]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5894c3]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/../lib/emacs/28.2/native-lisp/28.2-d1746297/preloaded/jit-lock-8a988e43-703cd7fb.eln(F6a69742d6c6f636b2d666f6e746966792d6e6f77_jit_lock_fontify_now_0+0x2d2)[0x7f6e316b0172]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5894c3]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/../lib/emacs/28.2/native-lisp/28.2-d1746297/preloaded/jit-lock-8a988e43-703cd7fb.eln(F6a69742d6c6f636b2d66756e6374696f6e_jit_lock_function_0+0x232)[0x7f6e316afaf2]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5894c3]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x588981]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x43e5f4]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x44d95c]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x44daf8]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x452fd6]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x458788]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x4566b5]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x458ae0]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x45ac77]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x455876]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x47c514]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x4814ab]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x58865c]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x441149]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x441105]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x46b751]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x46d705]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x4289ee]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5894c3]
/nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp/28.2-d1746297/notmuch-show-482175f2-4dd38a29.eln(F6e6f746d7563682d73686f772d636f6d6d616e642d686f6f6b_notmuch_show_command_hook_0+0x71)[0x7f6e2f742971]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5894c3]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5895f8]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x588981]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x50a9c1]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x588c6d]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x50e318]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x51b00b]
/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/bin/emacs[0x5885cf]
...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Does this help?

Thanks in advance.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
System Description: NixOS 23.05 (Stoat)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  eev-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-pdf/junk
~/git/emacs-unoffice/junk hides ~/git/emacs-framebuffer/junk
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/run/current-system/sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20230602.2121/transient hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient
/nix/store/bvkjcb6pzd3d51q9j7yhf3bhljxlvb95-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/5vx99s8cjzv8hcirly8g06alhjz0zaba-emacs-28.2/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow emacsbug find-dired dired-aux dictcc org-element avl-tree ol-eww
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi mule-util rfc2104 tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time ls-lisp mailalias sendmail feedmail qp sort mail-extr
misearch multi-isearch gnutls network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth term/xterm xterm elm-mode elm-interactive
elm-font-lock elm-indent-simple elm-indent elm-imenu elm-format
reformatter elm-tags elm-util pulse color let-alist f f-shortdoc
shortdoc elm-defuns bmenu watch term2 shell2 vc-git vc-dispatcher
emacs-btap ffap emacs-unoffice view org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func emacs-pdf printing ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr emacs-framebuffer eev-beginner eev-load
eev-rcirc eev-videolinks eev-audiovideo eev-wconfig eev-rstdoc
eev-helpful eev-kla eev-testblocks eev-edit eev-pdflike eejump eev-brxxx
eev-code eev-hlinks eev-tlinks eev-wrap eev-env eev-elinks eev-plinks
eev-blinks eev-template0 eev-anchors eev-codings eepitch disp-table
eev-mode eev-eval eev-multiwindow eev-flash eev-intro dumb-jump popup s
email-eww cltl clhs notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj goto-addr icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag notmuch-lib
notmuch-compat hl-line mm-view mml-smime smime dig eww-lnum eww xdg
url-queue shr kinsoku svg xml dom mm-url gnus nnheader wid-edit
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr warnings rx shell pcomplete
server magit-mode transient cl-extra help-mode magit-git magit-base
magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm dash compat compat-29
diff-mode paredit slime-asdf grep slime-fancy slime-indentation
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree advice
slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep macrostep
slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-fuzzy slime-c-p-c slime-autodoc
slime-editing-commands slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile
text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode
archive-mode noutline outline pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec
thingatpt picolisp tsm easy-mmode edmacro kmacro pcase slime-autoloads
info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 762649 88295)
 (symbols 48 38472 4)
 (strings 32 167813 17195)
 (string-bytes 1 6590820)
 (vectors 16 79801)
 (vector-slots 8 2074030 115067)
 (floats 8 835 381)
 (intervals 56 28595 5312)
 (buffers 992 34))