Subject: Can't build Guix from source due to failure to build cookbook
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:04:06 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With a `guix describe` like this, I'm unable to build Guix from a fresh Git
checkout of the master branch.
 
------
  guix 985638a
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 985638aea14720e16ed5fd94a0e1382a57dec7ac
------

------
$ guix shell --pure -D guix
$ ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make -j1
[...]
  MAKEINFO doc/guix.zh_CN.info
  MAKEINFO doc/guix-cookbook.info
  MAKEINFO doc/guix-cookbook.de.info
guix-cookbook.de.texi:604: @menu reference to nonexistent node `A ``Hello World'' package'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:605: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Setup'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:606: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Extended example'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:607: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Other build systems'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:608: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Programmable and automated package definition'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:609: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Getting help'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:610: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Conclusion'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:835: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Local file'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:836: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Channels'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:1544: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Recursive importers'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:1545: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Automatic update'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3469: @menu reference to nonexistent node `A Database Container'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3768: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Basic setup with manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3769: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Required packages'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3770: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Default profile'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:3771: @menu reference to nonexistent node `The benefits of manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:116: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `A ``Hello World'' package'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:117: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Setup'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:118: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Extended example'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:119: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Other build systems'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:120: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Programmable and automated package definition'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:121: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Getting help'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:122: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Conclusion'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:129: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Local file'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:130: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Channels'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:137: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Recursive importers'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:138: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Automatic update'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:194: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `A Database Container'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:208: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Basic setup with manifests'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:209: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Required packages'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:210: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `Default profile'
guix-cookbook.de.texi:211: @detailmenu reference to nonexistent node `The benefits of manifests'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:5394: doc/guix-cookbook.de.info] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:6079: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix'
make: *** [Makefile:4193: all] Error 2
------

I'm not sure what the actual error is. I've attached the full output of
the build process.