Subject: Emacs 29 RC1 takes around 25ms longer to start without config and about 25ms with config
From: Yanchi Tóth <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:06:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello :)

Emacs 29 RC1 takes around 25ms longer to start without config and about
25ms with config. These timings are the best of 5 runs of emacs-init-time
on 29 RC1 and 28.2.

0.595389 seconds (29 RC1 w/ config)
0.222545 seconds (29 RC1 w/o config)

0.556751 seconds (28.2 w/ config)
0.197640 seconds (28.2 w/o config)

Output of report-emacs-bug ran in 29 (w/ config) below:

In GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-07-23 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.3208)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  straight-symlink-emulation-mode: t
  straight-live-modifications-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/transient
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-lint
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-jump
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-ensure
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-diminish
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-delight
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-core
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/use-package/use-package-bind-key
hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/bind-key/bind-key hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/use-package/bind-key
c:/Users/yanchith/.emacs.d/straight/build/csharp-mode/csharp-mode hides
c:/Users/yanchith/emacs-29.1-rc1/share/emacs/29.1/lisp/progmodes/csharp-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt counsel xdg xref project byte-opt dired
dired-loaddefs compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color
swiper pcase abu-theme wgsl-mode-autoloads glsl-mode-autoloads
csharp-mode-autoloads typescript-mode-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
counsel-autoloads swiper-autoloads ivy ring ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir
color ivy-autoloads magit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads
compat-autoloads expand-region-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
finder-inf edmacro kmacro move-text-autoloads whitespace f-autoloads
dash-autoloads s-autoloads use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
straight-autoloads straight cap-words superword subword autorevert
filenotify easy-mmode delsel comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx
cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile elec-pair
hl-line so-long cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 149365 11248)
 (symbols 48 12552 0)
 (strings 32 39098 2504)
 (string-bytes 1 1467890)
 (vectors 16 25019)
 (vector-slots 8 482359 16812)
 (floats 8 124 237)
 (intervals 56 263 0)
 (buffers 984 11))