Subject: 29.0.92; save-place-mode not working in emacs 29
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:06:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I put (save-place-mode 1) in my init.el, but it does not
work. Additionally, when enabling it via options -> save place in files
between sessions, it enables, but then is disabled again upon closing
and relaunching emacs.

GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.8) of 2023-07-14 built on localhost
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--localstatedir=/var/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
--disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.92
--htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-29.0.92/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
--program-suffix=-emacs-29-vcs --includedir=/usr/include/emacs-29-vcs
--infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-29-vcs --localstatedir=/var
--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
--without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
--with-file-notification=inotify --with-pdumper --enable-acl
--with-dbus --with-modules --with-gameuser=:gamestat --with-libgmp
--with-gpm --without-native-compilation --with-json --without-kerberos
--without-kerberos5 --with-lcms2 --with-xml2 --without-mailutils
--without-selinux --with-sqlite3 --with-gnutls --with-libsystemd
--with-threads --with-tree-sitter --with-wide-int --with-sound=alsa
--with-zlib --with-pgtk --without-x --without-ns
--with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf --with-gsettings
--without-harfbuzz --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
--without-xwidgets --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg
--with-tiff --with-webp --without-imagemagick --with-dumping=pdumper
'CFLAGS=-march=native -O3 -pipe' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
save-place-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-entry-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/desktop-file-utils/desktop-entry-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
saveplace deeper-blue-theme site-gentoo rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 53837 7368)
(symbols 48 6718 0)
(strings 32 17085 2600)
(string-bytes 1 463653)
(vectors 16 10347)
(vector-slots 8 159304 12125)
(floats 8 29 41)
(intervals 56 572 9)
(buffers 984 14))

Thank you,
Joseph