Subject: 30.0.50; yasnippets not working due to change in bytecomp.el
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 11:06:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Preconditions:
some snippets in ~/.emacs.d/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode

Procedure:
emacs -Q
M-x p-l-p to instal yasnippet (0.14.1)
M-x yas-global-mode
Try out one of my snippets in the *scratch* buffer

I used the following commits (where emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el is
changed) to track down the breaking change:

Commit                                   Test
0d411a0a6df83168c4f9bfed40803de7ec79ef14 OK
c9c0d1cf7f6ab6bbd93941c23304a25b81b29fd5 OK
ef1394fca0405bb3738f4f08c21c2d0ca8602d52 KO

In the first KO, placeholders are not working as expected

It all started when I saw the following message on master:

yas--template-menu-binding-pair-get-create: Symbol's function definition
is void: \(setf\ internal--with-suppressed-warnings\)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-06-27 built on 0ecd9d511a7f
Repository revision: ef1394fca0405bb3738f4f08c21c2d0ca8602d52
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=30 --with-json --with-x
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-cairo --with-compress-install
 --with-modules=yes --with-threads --with-included-regex --with-zlib
 --with-tree-sitter=no --with-native-compilation=yes 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/home/paag/emacs=. -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -flto=auto -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_ES.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_ES.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: es_ES.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date comp comp-cstr
warnings icons rx cl-extra yasnippet help-mode
modus-operandi-tinted-theme modus-themes yasnippet-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 165363 19455)
 (symbols 48 12004 0)
 (strings 32 30048 1665)
 (string-bytes 1 872455)
 (vectors 16 20533)
 (vector-slots 8 417269 13982)
 (floats 8 67 33)
 (intervals 56 263 0)
 (buffers 976 11))
-- 
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet