Subject: 29.0.92; 'redirect-frame-focus' is broken
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:26:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc-string of 'redirect-frame-focus' says:

   A frame’s focus redirection can be changed by ‘select-frame’.  If frame
   FOO is selected, and then a different frame BAR is selected, any
   frames redirecting their focus to FOO are shifted to redirect their
   focus to BAR.  This allows focus redirection to work properly when the
   user switches from one frame to another using ‘select-window’.

   This means that a frame whose focus is redirected to itself is treated
   differently from a frame whose focus is redirected to nil; the former
   is affected by ‘select-frame’, while the latter is not.

The Elisp manual says almost the same:

      Selecting a frame can also change focus redirections.  Selecting
      frame ‘bar’, when ‘foo’ had been selected, changes any redirections
      pointing to ‘foo’ so that they point to ‘bar’ instead.  This allows
      focus redirection to work properly when the user switches from one
      frame to another using ‘select-window’.

      This means that a frame whose focus is redirected to itself is
      treated differently from a frame whose focus is not redirected.
      ‘select-frame’ affects the former but not the latter.

With Emacs 29 both texts have become false.  Selecting a frame no longer
shifts focus to that frame.

That change has immediate consequences for interactions based on
read_minibuf.  With emacs -Q evaluate (make-frame '((minibuffer . nil)))
and in the frame created thusly type C-x C-f.  At this time it is
impossible to access the minibuffer-less frame using C-x o, C-x 5 o, the
window manager's Alt-TAB or any other key combination.  All these key
combinations used to work in the given configuration ever since.  With a
minibuffer-only frames setup, the minibuffer window has become "modal".

martin

In GNU Emacs 29.0.92 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
  cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-06-18 built on restno
Repository revision: a24e9e3fee59435422af0473b7ec585de2c13b4e
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop 'CFLAGS=-O3 -no-pie''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36164 6573)
  (symbols 48 5127 0)
  (strings 32 13109 2112)
  (string-bytes 1 370199)
  (vectors 16 9293)
  (vector-slots 8 148348 10817)
  (floats 8 22 23)
  (intervals 56 210 0)
  (buffers 976 10))