Subject: 30.0.50; Slow 'gnus-summary-refer-thread'
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 15:17:32 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Since sometimes now, in Gnus summary, calling 'A T'
(gnus-summary-refer-thread) is really slow (30 seconds to 1 minute) and
it was instantaneous before.  I have bisected it to the following patch:

bf986c1faf53f3abd260f72cb36d9143afac353d is the first bad commit
commit bf986c1faf53f3abd260f72cb36d9143afac353d
Author: Andrew G Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Nov 22 15:39:01 2022 +0800
    Improve gnus thread-referral
    
    Allow thread referral to use search whenever possible, displaying the
    results in the current summary buffer if possible and a new nnselect
    buffer if not.
    
    * lisp/gnus/nnimap.el (nnimap-request-thread): Obsolete function.
    * lisp/gnus/gnus-search.el (gnus-search-thread): Allow detailed
    specification of how/where to search. Add found articles to the
    current summary buffer if possible, or create a new ephemeral nnselect
    group if not.
    * lisp/gnus/gnus-sum.el (gnus-refer-thread-use-search): Allow a list
    of servers and groups to search.
    (gnus-summary-refer-thread): Find thread-related articles by using a
    backend-specific method, gnus-search, or retrieving nearby headers in
    the current group.
    * lisp/gnus/nnselect.el (nnselect-search-thread): Obsolete function.
    (nnselect-request-thread): Allow thread referral from nnselect groups.
    * doc/misc/gnus.texi (Finding the Parent): Document changes to thread
    referral.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.3, cairo version
 1.17.8) of 2023-06-02 built on computer
Repository revision: bf986c1faf53f3abd260f72cb36d9143afac353d
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101006
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.3 GENERIC.MP#1125 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.0.2/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow shortdoc help-fns radix-tree magit-extras emacsbug pulse
face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit add-log
magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils
dash nnmaildir gnus-search sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache utf-7 imap rfc2104
nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nnrss org-agenda
mule-util org-indent org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree
oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs css-mode sh-script smie
treesit executable vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util pascal eww xdg
url-queue mm-url vc-git bug-reference paredit imenu doc-view jka-compr
image-mode exif gnus-dired view vc-hg diff-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn
warnings rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu nxml-util nxml-enc
xmltok time battery cus-load exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
zone speed-type url-http url-auth url-gw nsm compat ytdious mingus
libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace detached-init detached
autorevert filenotify transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc
calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base pcase timezone
visual-basic-mode cl web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start
smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp
tramp rx tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec
slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop generator xref
project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline icons pp comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs dired-x dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
notifications dbus xml cl-extra help-mode use-package-core repeat
easy-mmode desktop frameset speed-type-autoloads osm-autoloads
ebdb-autoloads magit-autoloads debbugs-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
finder-inf rust-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
ef-themes-autoloads with-editor-autoloads compat-autoloads
dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads transmission-autoloads
paredit-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads detached-autoloads
info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 984879 633622)
 (symbols 48 62657 9)
 (strings 32 304460 91596)
 (string-bytes 1 9630727)
 (vectors 16 189334)
 (vector-slots 8 3198927 648189)
 (floats 8 710 1136)
 (intervals 56 14286 482)
 (buffers 984 91))

-- 
Manuel Giraud