Subject: 23.2; Win32 Antialiased fonts
From: Damyan Pepper <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:37:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm having trouble getting antialiased fonts to work correctly in
emacs 23.2, to the extent that it appears that it doesn't actually
support antialised fonts.

If I do the following in emacs 23.1:

(set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0:antialias=subpixel")
(describe-font nil)

Then this reports the full name as "DejaVu Sans
Mono-9.0:antialias=subpixel", and the font looks nice and smooth.

However, doing the same thing in emacs 23.2 gives the full name as
"DejaVu Sans Mono-9.0" and the font looks nasty and chunky.

Using bzr bisect I've narrowed this down to revision 98629 - "Handle
system default font and changing font parameters".  This seems to add
some new code for dealing with font changes.  It looks like the
'antialias' argument is now recognised on non-win32 systems and so
this may have inadvertently changed the way it behaves under windows.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790)
 of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.2.3790
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/xpm/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t <tab> <ret
urn>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)