Subject: 29.0.60; Persistent article cache not working properly
From: James Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 15:36:27 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(From an emacs session started with gnus-mock-start)
1. M-: (setq gnus-use-cache t)
2. M-x gnus
3. RET on 'mails'
4. M P b
5. *
6. q
7. ^
8. a nnml RET cache RET
9. e on 'nnml:cache'
10. Paste the following, with /tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6 replaced with
the value of gnus-home-directory:

  (nnml "cache"
        (nnml-directory "/tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6/News/cache/")
        (nnml-active-file
        "/tmp/emacs-gnus-mock-h7X6w6/News/cache/active"))

  C-c C-c
11. RET on 'nnml:cache'
12. RET on 'mails'

"Group nnml+cache:mails couldn’t be activated"

Further, if you do:

13. q
14. g on 'nnml:cache'
15. RET on 'nnml:cache'

There's a ghost group 'nil', but:

16. RET on 'mails'

And it works (but I've sometimes seen some mails missing until I delete
the visible ones and regenerate the server again).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-04-01 built on
 user-Inspiron-15-5518
Repository revision: 6419d78fa6f8a7794893da5a8a5d65f75a5a29fa
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: EXWM

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-environment-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/transient
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-jump hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-ensure hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-lint hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-core hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-delight hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/bind-key-20230203.2004/bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-bind-key hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/use-package-20230203.2004/use-package-diminish hides /home/user/code/emacs/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug cl-print gnus-async
gnus-cite gnus-cus gnus-demon gnus-diary nndiary gnus-draft gnus-dup
gnus-fun gnus-html gnus-kill gnus-logic gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus
mh-e mh-buffers mh-loaddefs gnus-registry registry eieio-base rmailsum
rmail gnus-salt gnus-topic gnus-uu yenc gnus-vm epa-file utf-7
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
bbdb-com bbdb bbdb-site auth-source-xoauth2 auth-source-pass smtpmail
cus-edit cus-start lisp-mnt finder-inf gnus-mock pp dired-aux shr-color
color timezone textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check network-stream url-http url-gw nsm
url-cache url-auth hippie-exp compile warnings files-x arc-mode
archive-mode rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode facemenu ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok
nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree
generator oc-basic ol-w3m ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-eww eww
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom puny mm-url gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr ol-docview doc-view filenotify image-mode exif ol-bibtex
bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb org org-macro org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline icons ob-dot ob-R ob-python
python treesit ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version
org-compat org-macs cal-iso help-fns radix-tree thingatpt cal-move
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs calc-undo calc-vec calc-aent calc-yank
calccomp calc-arith calc-alg calc-forms calc-ext calc-misc mule-util
magit-base magit-section crm dash compat compat-29 misearch
multi-isearch jka-compr calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color time time-date denote xdg
dired dired-loaddefs xref project ring edmacro desktop-environment ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm exwm-input
xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server cl-extra help-mode advice recentf
tree-widget wid-edit use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core format-spec icomplete battery dbus xml cus-load pcase
gnus-mock-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads org-remark-autoloads
org-mime-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 899163 122424)
 (symbols 48 51409 1)
 (strings 32 258636 19837)
 (string-bytes 1 7730958)
 (vectors 16 124156)
 (vector-slots 8 2366288 78523)
 (floats 8 475 473)
 (intervals 56 8074 13313)
 (buffers 984 38))