Subject: 30.0.50; Emacs crashes because of an invalid free
From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 20:25:11 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Emacs just crashes out of nowhere, e.g. after I open a my init file.

I have had this device for a while on a device of mine, that I couldn't
reproduce on my main workstation or using emacs -Q.  Apparently this
could be related to some faulty byte-code.

The best I could do to detect this issue was to build Emacs using
-fsanitize=address and I managed to reprodce the issue reliably by
invoking package-recompile-all.  I collected the following log:

I ran the same command in batch mode, and now the issue appears to be
fixed.  This gives me no reassurance, as a few days ago the I had
temporary managed to acchive the same state and then Emacs crashed again
after rebuilding again.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-03-01 built on quetzal
Repository revision: 4b99015e15a23bd5cbec021d53ef9fcca25b2441
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3 -fsanitize=address''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug mail-extr message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit misearch multi-isearch
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 65648 11383)
 (symbols 48 7380 0)
 (strings 32 19680 1617)
 (string-bytes 1 540967)
 (vectors 16 12795)
 (vector-slots 8 182734 13738)
 (floats 8 32 68)
 (intervals 56 625 8)
 (buffers 984 13))