Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: opencl-headers, opencl-clhpp and opencl-icd-loader: Update to 2023.02.06
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Tai <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:49:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To answer your question from another message where you asked how to
describe changes to things like package arguments in the commit
message...

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 10:39:58PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> * gnu/packages/opencl.scm (opencl-clhpp): Update to 2023.02.06
> (opencl-headers): Update to 2023.02.06
> (opencl-icd-loader): Update to 2023.02.06
> [arguments]: Add configure flag to disable CTest building that
> cause errors as tests are meant to be disabled

Basically as you've done here, except that the [arguments] portion
should be within the section for the package that it changes.

In this case, you changed the arguments of opencl-clhpp, so you should
list the changes underneath opencl-clhpp's listing in the commit
message.

More generally, our commit messages are in GNU ChangeLog format, which
describes changes at a code level based on variables (i.e. Guix
packages or functions) and the fields within them.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

For Guix, if I am unsure, I look for similar commits in our Git log. As
always, feel free to ask for help on IRC or the mailing list.

I tweaked the commit message for you and pushed as
dfcf1d5d6a56d0cabeec4836bab1f1f1f063a0e1