Subject: Re: bug#61712: 30.0.50; Want way to generate VC log for arbitrary list of files
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:19:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

On Wed 22 Feb 2023 at 09:07PM +02, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> Yesterday I wanted to review changes to some documentation files in a
>> repository; roughly, `git log -- dgit.1 *.pod`.  I would have preferred
>> to have the result in a *vc-log* buffer, but I don't believe we have a
>> command to do this.  'C-x v !' can't do it.
>>
>> If there were changes to each of the files, they would have appeared in
>> *vc-dir*, and I could have used the new vc-dir-mark-by-regexp, and then
>> vc-print-log would have done the right thing.
>>
>> So, I wonder if we could have a way to insert up-to-date files into
>> *vc-dir*, so that they could be used to select an arbitrary VC fileset?
>
> It's easy to do this in the Dired buffer by marking the required files.
> I'm doing this all the time since Dired supports all vc commands.

Oh, I didn't know dired could do this.  My apologies.

-- 
Sean Whitton