Subject: 30.0.50; Strange behavior of `vertical-motion' with (overlay-put 'display)
From: OGAWA Hirofumi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 03:45:08 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I can be wrong though, when using

  (overlay-put (make-overlay 2 5) 'display "B")

in [wrong] code, `vertical-motion' doesn't move the point to 2nd line.

[wrong]
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert "A*B\n\n\n\n")
    (goto-char 2)
    (overlay-put (make-overlay 2 5) 'display "B")
    (vertical-motion '(1 . 1)))

But in [correct] code, `vertical-motion' moves the point to 2nd line.

[correct]
 (with-temp-buffer
   (insert "AB\n\n\n\n")
   (goto-char 2)
   (vertical-motion '(1 . 1)))

Is this the intent behavior, or the bug?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2023-02-18 built on devron
Repository revision: 0be5f7ab6368175953c0a5bcbbd485fd9edda2b0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xim --with-imagemagick
 --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation=aot'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  bug-reference-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  flycheck-pos-tip-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message mailalias emacsbug smerge-mode diff hl-line
elfeed-show elfeed-search bookmark elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree url-queue xml-query mule-util
sort gnus-cite shr-color color qp mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-bcklg gnus-async bbdb-gnus-aux gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
url-http url-gw url-cache utf-7 epa-file network-stream nsm nnfolder
bbdb-gnus nnnil bbdb-mua spam spam-stat bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site
timezone gnus-uu yenc gnus-demon gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom nndraft nnmh gnus-xoauth2 oauth2-ext
plstore gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit cl-print thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
dired-aux dircolors-faces dired-x dired dired-loaddefs comp comp-cstr
warnings icons flyspell ispell vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util vc
vc-dispatcher bug-reference server bbdb-loaddefs auth-source-pass
rfc-autoloads company-yasnippet pp url-auth debian-autoloads generic-x
grammar-check-autoloads langtool-autoloads magit-mini-autoloads
flycheck-relint relint compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc xr
flycheck-pos-tip pos-tip flycheck ansi-color find-func rx dash
company-cscope company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags
fileloop generator xref project ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-capf company-cmake
company-semantic company-template company-bbdb company pcase autoinsert
cl-extra yasnippet help-mode elec-pair repeat savehist advice
browse-kill-ring delsel tab-bar-session desktop frameset icomplete
mozc-im-plus mozc-popup popup mozc expand-region-autoloads
grep-context-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
relint-autoloads mozc-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads coterm-autoloads
company-autoloads popup-autoloads xr-autoloads
graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads php-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
gnuplot-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads git-modes-autoloads
compat-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads flycheck-autoloads info
dash-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
japan-util rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 582697 138578)
 (symbols 48 27961 13)
 (strings 32 202752 26307)
 (string-bytes 1 6645305)
 (vectors 16 115238)
 (vector-slots 8 2018580 133990)
 (floats 8 7406 2029)
 (intervals 56 1528 1112)
 (buffers 976 33))

-- 
OGAWA Hirofumi <[email-masked]>