Subject: 28.2; dired-hide-details-mode shows symlink targets after entering and exiting wdired
From: Iñaki Cornejo de la Mora <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 10:16:52 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When using dired-hide-details-mode with the default of hiding symlink
targets (setq dired-hide-details-hide-symlink-targets t), the targets
become visible when entering wdired (expected and really useful)
but they remain visible after exiting the mode with any of:
- wdired-abort-changes
- wdired-exit
- wdired-finish-edit

The only way to restore the previous look is to toggle
dired-hide-details-mode off and on so that symlink targets are
hidden again. I assume this is unexpected behaviour and hope this helps.

In GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36,
cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2023-01-02 built on 2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101007
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-native-compilation
 --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt
 -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -g
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
 savehist-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-tree-sitter-mode: t
  dired-hide-details-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/pink/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230209.2250/transient hides
/usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug smtpmail message puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils wdired vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache
reveal epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config calc-stuff calc-arith
calc-alg calc-ext calc-misc calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
vterm color term disp-table ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm misearch
multi-isearch pdf-sync pdf-annot facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links
pdf-history pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
pdf-view bookmark jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs
image-mode exif rmc org-clock org-duration view mule-util solar cal-dst
holidays hol-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-iso org-eldoc image-file image-converter org-element
avl-tree generator org-habit ol-info ol-man cl-extra help-mode
face-remap org-agenda org-refile server elec-pair ws-butler cookie1
savehist minions modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase so-long winner
repeat pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode pp tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter
tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn tsc-dyn-get compile
text-property-search dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs tsc-obsolete
pdf-loader which-key ob-python python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time ls-lisp
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601
time-date ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs edmacro kmacro gcmh
no-littering compat compat-29 finder-inf info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 706874 47334)
 (symbols 48 38597 0)
 (strings 32 165536 7878)
 (string-bytes 1 5354713)
 (vectors 16 67055)
 (vector-slots 8 1840625 46771)
 (floats 8 788 2814)
 (intervals 56 3264 1760)
 (buffers 992 33))