Subject: Re: bug#60058: 29.0.60; overlay-lists does not conform to its docstring
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 20:19:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Kai Ma <[email-masked]>,  Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:21:44 -0500
> 
> > The problem is not in overlay-lists, IMO, the problem (if there is
> > one) is in overlay-recenter: it is a no-op in Emacs 29 and later.
> 
> The use of `overlay-recenter` together with `overlay-lists` took me
> by surprise.  So yes, I think we should document that `overlay-recenter`
> is a no-op.  We should also mark it obsolete.

I didn't mark it obsolete yet.  Having Emacs 29.1 annoy programs that
call a function that is a no-op, and adding that so close to the
release, sounds like not the best idea.  Maybe we should consider
obsoleting it in Emacs 30.

Otherwise, I did update the documentation to be consistent with the
new implementation of the overlays (see also bug#59996), and I'm
therefore closing this bug report.