Subject: 30.0.50; Overlays section of Elisp manual still states that overlays scale linearly
From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:53:51 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I am still seeing the following clause in the 41.9 Overlays section of
Elisp manual:

       The visual effect of an overlay is the same as of the corresponding
    text property (*note Text Properties::).  However, due to a different
    implementation, overlays generally don’t scale well (many operations
    take a time that is proportional to the number of overlays in the
    buffer).  If you need to affect the visual appearance of many portions
    in the buffer, we recommend using text properties.

Should it be removed now, when overlays are equally performance with
text properties?

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-12-07 built on localhost
Repository revision: f0e118d3f676afe39df29663399d4bbe8f53f208
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Gentoo Linux

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>