Subject: 29.0.50; Don't use defvar+make-sparse-keymap for example in docs
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 12:02:31 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

In (info "(elisp) Tips for Defining"), we have:

       When defining and initializing a variable that holds a
    complicated value (such as a keymap with bindings in it), it’s best
    to put the entire computation of the value into the ‘defvar’, like
    this:

         (defvar my-mode-map
           (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
             (keymap-set map "C-c C-a" 'my-command)
             ...
             map)
           DOCSTRING)

Could we use an example here that is not a keymap (which should be
defined using `defvar-keymap' these days)?

What would be a good example to use?  `make-syntax-table'?