Subject: [PATCH 0/7] [Installer] Warn about unsupported devices
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 20:17:56 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix!

As discussed at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/58357>, this patch
series is an attempt to improve user experience by having the
installer warn early on about devices that are known to not be
supported by free software.

Currently only one such device is listed (Intel WiFi, the ‘iwlwifi’
Linux module) but I count on you, dear reader, to suggest a few
more.  What’s particularly important here are things that will
lead to important loss of functionality: WiFi, Ethernet, sound
support, graphics, etc.  Newer laptops are known to require
non-free firmware a range of devices¹ and it would be nice to
cover the important ones.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

¹ https://blog.einval.com/2022/04/19#firmware-what-do-we-do

Ludovic Courtès (7):
  installer: Warn about hardware support after the welcome page.
  linux-modules: Add support for listing PCI devices.
  linux-modules: Add 'load-pci-device-database'.
  installer: Use 'current-guix' for extensions.
  installer: Error page width is parameterized.
  installer: Report known-unsupported PCI devices.
  installer: Remove unused variable.

 gnu/build/linux-modules.scm    | 135 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 gnu/installer.scm              |   8 +-
 gnu/installer/newt.scm         |   8 +-
 gnu/installer/newt/page.scm    |  12 +--
 gnu/installer/newt/welcome.scm | 153 ++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 gnu/installer/record.scm       |   2 +-
 6 files changed, 260 insertions(+), 58 deletions(-)

base-commit: 973dc4564e874107ac56d39ece2a2224cf926fe6
-- 
2.38.0