Subject: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:06:46 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This wish request is related to Emacs EWW and Org mode.

Please make EWW recognize Org file when served by WWW server. Currently
it does not recognize the MIME type text/x-org and opens the file as
text, it does not invoke the org mode. In my opinion, it should.

Inspect following file by using lynx:

$ lynx -head https://gnu.support/files/tmp/example.org

uHTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.14.2
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 12:04:26 GMT
Content-Type: text/x-org
Content-Length: 364
Last-Modified: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:58:22 GMT
Connection: close
ETag: "6357cf5e-16c"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

One can see that Content-Type is text/x-org

My expectation is that EWW opens the Org file served by WWW server in
Org mode. But it doesn't. Can this be done?

This will open opportunity to directly serve Org files by using WWW
servers and to browse such files through Emacs, meaning, bunch of notes,
tasks and similar may be kept online, with or without protection and
directly accessed by Emacs. It becomes new area or WWO or World Wide Org
environment.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.17.6, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2022-10-10 built on
 protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: ed436db1320339862fad5ac754a6ec42de06c766
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  mml-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug mail-extr org-timer org-colview org-clock
org-attach org-id org-archive org-agenda org-refile ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode
exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
reporter org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline icons
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic json map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv bibtex iso8601 time-date subr-x
ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 180979 11753)
 (symbols 48 19853 2)
 (strings 32 68758 1519)
 (string-bytes 1 2167162)
 (vectors 16 37547)
 (vector-slots 8 408250 18213)
 (floats 8 277 76)
 (intervals 56 424 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/