Subject: 29.0.50; "make bootstrap" spuriously warns: "comp.el newer than byte-compiled file"
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 16:15:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

Every time I "make bootstrap", I get a ton of spurious messages (see
below).  I believe they started showing up with Lars' much appreciated
work on improving build speeds.  I have tripped myself up over this
more than once, and I suspect it will confuse users too.

Is there any chance we could do something to silence them?  If we
can't solve it "properly", how about just a hack?  For example, could
we add some variable to suppress these messages at this stage of the
build process?

For completeness, I almost always build --with-native-compilation, in
case that matters.

  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/cconv.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/byte-opt.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/bytecomp.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/comp.elc
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.elc
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/cconv.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/comint.el’ newer than
byte-compiled file; using older file
  ELC+ELN  emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/icons.el’ newer
than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/comp-cstr.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file
Source file ‘/Users/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-opt.el’
newer than byte-compiled file; using older file