Subject: FAAC considered nonfree by Debian and Parabola
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:12:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

The faac package is considered nonfree in Debian[1] and also in
Parabola because according to the Parabola blacklist faac "is a GPL'ed
package, but has non free code that can't be distributed under the
GPL"[2].

The path chosen by Parabola (and probably most other FSDG compliant or
100% free distributions) was to make the packages not depend on
faac. 

A quick search in the Parabola packages list[3] can show some of the
packages having been (re)built without faac support[4].

Reference:
----------
[1]https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/faac
[2]https://git.parabola.nu/blacklist.git/tree/blacklist.txt#n104
[3]https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?sort=&arch=x86_64&repo=Libre&q=faac&maintainer=&flagged=
[4]Parabola uses most Arch Linux packages as-is, and it excludes
   problematic packages and/or replaces problematic packages. This is
   why some of the replacement packages mention "without nonfree faac".

Denis.