Subject: Re: bug#57807: 29.0.50; Make vc-print-branch-log able to log multiple branches
From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 12:39:31 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Wed 21 Sep 2022 at 09:52PM +03, Juri Linkov wrote:

> Adding vc-pre-command-functions as a counterpart of the existing
> vc-post-command-functions is a nice solution.  I tested everything,
> and there are no more problems.  Thanks for implementing this feature.

Thank you for testing it.

> After you will push it, it would be good also to try to generalize it
> to other vc commands.  The problem is that some commands already use
> C-u for other purposes, such as 'C-u C-x v L' asks for a limit.  What
> would be a possible way to set vc-want-edit-command-p without using a
> prefix arg?  Maybe to add a new command that will only set
> vc-want-edit-command-p for the next vc command, and bind it to
> e.g. 'C-x v c'.  Then 'C-x v c C-x v L' will allow editing the root
> log command.

Right.  It would be good to find a way to make all this consistent.
It's unfortunate that C-x v l and C-x v P were different to begin with.

Regarding your idea, how about 'C-x V V'?  It's easier to type, won't
clash with another command we might want to put on 'c', and feels a bit
like C-x 4 4, C-x 5 5 etc.  Though, to be honest, I'd prefer it if we
could come up with something involving multiple 'C-u'.

-- 
Sean Whitton