Subject: Re: bug#57760: [PATCH] system: install: Do not load amdgpu in the installer image.
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>, Antero Mejr <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:16:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Florian,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

> What Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote at
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36786#9> indicates that non-3d graphics
> works for some radeon/amdgpu GPUs, because the code that prevents
> booting could be removed from linux-libre for these GPUs.  If so (and it
> didn’t work for one GPU of mine even though it is listed as freed at
> libreplanet), these amdgpu ones would get a lower screen resolution from
> uvesafb if this patch were added.  But it is worth the trade-off.

Agreed.

> Back then when we blacklisted radeon, we chose to wait for a report of
> amdgpu not working instead of adding amdgpu to the blacklist right away.
> Maybe booting is not broken there?

Yeah, plus the corresponding hardware is way less common. So let's
proceed with this patch as-is. Pushed as
d0376f6718b57be90b2f7697c90e4ecbe0090e0f.

Thanks,

Mathieu