Subject: 28.1; image-convert not working on Windows
From: Pascal Quesseveur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 08:16:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

image-converter dosesn(t work with emacs 28.1 on Windows
10.  I start with:

runemacs -Q

then:

(auto-image-file-mode 1)
(setq image-use-external-converter t
      image-converter 'graphicsmagick)

GrpahicsMagick 1.3.36 Q16 win64 is installed and working fine.  I can
test an image in SunRaster format:

(image-convert-p "C:/Users/.../img.ras") -> image-convert

then I enter:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ras\\'" . image-mode))

and if I visit the sunraster file I get the following error in the
Messages buffer:

Not a PNG image: ‘(image :type png :data \211PNG
^Z
...

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-04-21 built on AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.1766)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: FRA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Article

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/bbdb/bbdb-vcard-export hides c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/bbdb-vcard-export
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/wdired hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/wdired
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/ls-lisp hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/ls-lisp
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/iimage hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/iimage
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/calculator hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/calculator
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/table hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/textmodes/table
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/remember/remember hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/textmodes/remember
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/utils/rlogin hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/rlogin
c:/Users/Public/emacs-site/lisp/dictionary-1.8.7/dictionary hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-28.1/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow warnings emacsbug url-http url-gw url-auth url-queue url-cache
flow-fill smerge-mode diff diff-mode jka-compr canlock bookmark
shr-color color gnus-fun mule-util mm-archive sort smiley gnus-cite
gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp gnus-ml time-stamp gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nnml
utf-7 gnutls nnfolder cl-extra help-mode gnus-cache network-stream nsm
nntp emms-info-libtag emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-player-mplayer emms-playlist-limit emms-volume
emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n
emms-stream-info emms-mode-line-icon emms-playlist-sort
emms-last-played emms-playing-time emms-player-simple emms-streams
emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
music-list music-album emms-setup emms emms-compat time
highlight-current-line color-theme smtpmail sendmail tumblesocks
tumblesocks-view tumblesocks-compose markdown-mode noutline outline
htmlize tumblesocks-user tumblesocks-api oauth sasl sasl-anonymous
sasl-login sasl-plain hex-util hmac-sha1 plantuml-mode pcase dash
thingatpt html2help footnote rx muse-odf muse-xml muse-help
muse-bbcode muse-blosxom muse-wiki muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs muse-latex muse-html muse-docbook muse-xml-common
cus-edit pp cus-load muse-publish muse-project muse-protocols info
muse-regexps muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode u-vm-color
org-import-icalendar icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs bbdb-gnus
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr
kinsoku svg dom browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader bbdb-snarf
mail-extr bbdb-com message rmc puny dired-explore dired-sort-menu
wid-edit acid dired-arc file-op dired-x dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
bbdb-vcard-export bbdb-export bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec which idb gud
easy-mmode compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
qproj-opascal jsee javadoc-lookup ido jserial jswat qproj-java jdok
tempo url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv url-vars mailcap xml-parse doxymacs qproj-cpp qproj
server dos-indent generic generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lunar solar
cal-dst cal-tex cal-iso cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs epa-file epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config ps-mule ipp cl-seq cl-macs cl gv
printing ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr icomplete advice
image-file image-converter edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 612203 48811)
 (symbols 48 34766 4)
 (strings 32 168214 6161)
 (string-bytes 1 6000875)
 (vectors 16 53658)
 (vector-slots 8 1338327 123618)
 (floats 8 1189 350)
 (intervals 56 1366 188)
 (buffers 992 36))

-- 
Pascal Quesseveur