Subject: Re: bug#56290: Guix is at version 0, according to "guix --version"
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 12:33:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I've hunted this down using 'guix time-machine' and it looks like the
> first commit where the version string returns 0 is
> 076e825dc5d585943ce820a279fffe4af09757fb. On that
> commit 'guix time-machine --commit=076e... -- --version' returns 0 and
> on the commit before that 5996aab354831d942b10253bc70217a4f2e6a247 we
> get the commit as the version string.
>
> Looking at the commits I'm guessing that the 076e825d commit interacts
> with the af57d1bf commit 2 before it, and whether the guile is guile-3.0
> or guile-final or guile-3.0-latest.

Fun!  Turns out this was caused by cross-module inlining: the initial
config.scm generated in ‘compiled-guix’ does (define %guix-version "0"),
and that got inlined in (guix ui).

Fixed in 54003af85cc5b689bd328b30617c93ed2f5fd647!

Ludo’.