Subject: Re: bug#56243: [PATCH] gnu: python-debug: Improve description and synopsis.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], jgart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 23:54:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> jgart via Guix-patches via schreef op zo 26-06-2022 om 17:09 [-0500]:
>>      (synopsis
>> -     "High-level, dynamically-typed programming language (for debugging)")
>> +     "Python with the debug hooks enabled")
>>      (description
>> -     "This variant of Python provides an interpreter built with
>> -@code{--with-pydebug} to help develop and debug extensions.  See
>> +"This variant of Python provides an interpreter
>> +built with the @code{--with-pydebug} flag, enabling
>> +debug hooks for development or testing purposes.  See
>>  @url{https://pythonextensionpatterns.readthedocs.io/en/latest/debugging/debug.html},
>>  for more information.")))
>
> I can't tell whether the old or new description is better but the new
> synopsis seems better to me (more to the point and descriptive -- you
> can do debugging in the regular python too!).  Maybe it would be even
> better to make clear in the description that you can also do debugging
> with the _regular_ python package?

I pushed the improved synopsis, but also had doubts about the
description change, so left it out in
15943fa75788edb8d9ed1c3d8d320f50d21e4baa.

Closing.

Thanks,

Maxim