Subject: 29.0.50; TAB in message-mode "To" header produces error
From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 13:08:22 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Prerequisite: Remove (move) any bbdb related files from ~/.emacs.d (or
equivalent). Because that is default.

Steps:

1. emacs -Q
2. (setq debug-on-error t)
3. C-x m
4. Type a few letters and the press TAB for completion

Output:
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "bbdb")
  require(bbdb)
  eudc-bbdb-query-internal(((net . "pri")) (firstname lastname net))
  eudc-query(((email . "pri")) (firstname lastname net))
  #f(compiled-function (query-words try-all-servers response-strings query-formats) #<bytecode -0x56a375c8d4c3f5b>)(("pri") t (nil) ((email) (firstname)))
  eudc-query-with-words(("pri") t)
  #f(compiled-function (_) #<bytecode -0x16db6ee01eec362>)(#("pri" 0 3 (fontified t face message-header-to)))
  #f(compiled-function (arg) #<bytecode 0x109cb701b9dc3396>)(#("pri" 0 3 (fontified t face message-header-to)))
  #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>)(#("pri" 0 3 (fontified t face message-header-to)) nil nil)
  try-completion(#("pri" 0 3 (fontified t face message-header-to)) #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil)
  completion-basic-try-completion(#("pri" 0 3 (face message-header-to fontified t)) #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil 3)
  #f(compiled-function (style) #<bytecode 0x178360428d5d0441>)(basic)
  completion--some(#f(compiled-function (style) #<bytecode 0x178360428d5d0441>) (basic partial-completion emacs22))
  completion--nth-completion(1 #("pri" 0 3 (face message-header-to fontified t)) #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil 3 (metadata))
  completion-try-completion(#("pri" 0 3 (face message-header-to fontified t)) #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil 3 (metadata))
  completion--do-completion(#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8)
  completion--in-region-1(#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8)
  #f(compiled-function (start end collection predicate) #<bytecode 0xfd2f370dae94152>)(#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8 #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil)
  apply(#f(compiled-function (start end collection predicate) #<bytecode 0xfd2f370dae94152>) (#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8 #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil))
  #f(compiled-function (funs global args) #<bytecode -0xf733ae2f6b1f22>)(nil nil (#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8 #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil))
  completion--in-region(#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8 #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil)
  completion-in-region(#<marker at 5 in *unsent mail*> 8 #f(compiled-function (string pred action) #<bytecode -0x9255dbb3ab24a4c>) nil)
  completion-at-point()
  message-tab()
  funcall-interactively(message-tab)
  call-interactively(message-tab nil nil)
  command-execute(message-tab)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

"bbdb" is not shipped with Emacs, so this error should not have come.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-06-23 built on anant
Repository revision: ee6e4bc525125c77d284039c0ab2e2ce4d70c7e3
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/pankaj/.local --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums eww xdg url-queue shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file url-dired svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr gnus-dired dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs conf-mode bat-mode sh-script smie executable
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop xref
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb company cl-extra tramp-cache prettier
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-start
wid-edit files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time ls-lisp nvm f f-shortdoc
shortdoc dash s iter2 json-mode json-snatcher js imenu sql view vc-git
diff-mode vc-dispatcher mule-util checkdoc lisp-mnt help-mode
flymake-proc flymake project display-line-numbers elec-pair
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch init
my-init org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-plantuml ob-sql ob-css ob-js ob-java ob-C
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ob-python python ob-R ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp ob-comint ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server modus-vivendi-theme modus-themes pcase warnings
delight editorconfig rust-utils thingatpt rust-mode rust-rustfmt
rust-playpen rust-compile compile text-property-search comint ansi-color
ring rust-cargo marginalia corfu vertico exec-path-from-shell hl-line
savehist desktop frameset avoid cus-load finder-inf tex-site
cider-autoloads compat-autoloads corfu-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads eglot-autoloads rx marginalia-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads php-mode-autoloads prettier-autoloads
f-autoloads dash-autoloads use-package-ensure-system-package-autoloads
system-packages-autoloads info vertico-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib early-init iso-transl tooltip
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 534118 25129)
 (symbols 48 35696 1)
 (strings 32 152938 4449)
 (string-bytes 1 4550226)
 (vectors 16 53101)
 (vector-slots 8 639958 33238)
 (floats 8 281 83)
 (intervals 56 4150 782)
 (buffers 992 33))