Subject: Re: bug#5559: 23.1.92; Don't change the default operation of emacs
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:39:06 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Warren L Dodge wrote:

> mail-mode versus message mode

This is certainly controversial (eg check emacs-devel archives). Emacs
does try to pop up a warning message about this change. All you need
do is

(setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)

if it bothers you.

>           message mail send slower

This is not supposed to happen, and presumably doesn't happen for most
people since it has not been reported before. This is bug#5558.

>           mail not put in FCC file

This is bug#5555.

> babyl format to mbox format

Hopefully you can agree it is better in the long-run for Rmail to use
a more standard format like mbox. It would have been nice if Rmail
could still handle Babyl as well, but there was no-one to do the work
of making it support two formats.

> split left/right versus top/bottom

This is a new feature which some modes still don't expect and so it
can cause some issues. It should only happen for wide frames.

(setq split-width-threshold nil)

should make it go away.