Subject: Re: bug#55450: bitlbee running as root
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 15:53:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Starting from commit 211fe3f66e6dfdaa64974931c458ab1d92afc182, if PID 1
> is Shepherd 0.9.0, the bitlbee daemon was started on-demand as an inetd
> service.
>
> However, due to a logic bug, it was running as root (in a separate user
> namespace though) instead of running as “bitlbee”.  The bug is that we
> were spawning “bitlbee -u bitlbee” as root; normally, bitlbee would
> setuid to the “bitlbee” user early on, but since it was in a separate
> namespace and with a minimal /etc/passwd, it couldn’t do anything and
> kept the current UID (that UID was 1000 inside the user namespace, but 0
> outside).

Fixed by commit ecfcdff23a5ce390a7edc019c1f1216c4843dc04: the bitlbee
process is now started as “bitlbee” right from the start.

I reviewed other users of ‘least-authority-wrapper’ that were recently
introduced and didn’t see other mistakes of that kind.  You’re welcome
to take another look to make sure!

Ludo’.