Subject: 28.1; vhdl-generate-makefile fails if there is not VHDL project
From: Cyril Arnould <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 19:13:15 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When visiting any VHDL file, trying to execute vhdl-generate-makefile
(C-c M-k) will fail if vhdl-project is nil. The resulting error message
and backtrace are as follows:

vhdl-generate-makefile-1: Symbol’s value as variable is void: rule-alist

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable rule-alist)
  vhdl-aput(rule-alist "counter.vhd" (("counter") nil))
  vhdl-generate-makefile-1()
  vhdl-generate-makefile()
  funcall-interactively(vhdl-generate-makefile)
  command-execute(vhdl-generate-makefile)

I suspect this might be due to changes when lexical-binding was enabled,
I went back to commit d365c947b53a2a1e4b43ab65922ebfeca23943d1 where it's
working. Note that I've never used this feature before so I don't know
exactly how it's supposed to behave, I wanted to try it out. The
makefile I get from the older vhdl-mode.el does seem to make sense though, I’ve
attached it for reference.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
of 2022-04-09 built on fv-az449-585
Repository revision: 04afff7cc015bc553c5f7abe57d6b6b23448bbea
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.1645)

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules
--without-dbus --without-compress-install --with-native-compilation
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe'
CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 LDFLAGS=-pipe'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: VHDL/es

Minor modes in effect:
  vhdl-stutter-mode: t
  vhdl-electric-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  company-tng-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace cus-start time-date
vc-dispatcher vc-svn vhdl-mode hippie-exp dired-aux comp comp-cstr
warnings dired dired-loaddefs display-line-numbers cl-extra use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key use-package-core finder-inf server delsel
tabbar grep compile text-property-search comint ring flycheck ansi-color
find-func help-mode rx dash cua-base company-tng company easy-mmode
edmacro kmacro pcase cus-load tex-site info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 451621 148985)
(symbols 48 21732 155)
(strings 32 129708 28702)
(string-bytes 1 3547925)
(vectors 16 38307)
(vector-slots 8 638853 354540)
(floats 8 94 629)
(intervals 56 601 449)
(buffers 992 15))