Subject: 29.0.50; Commit f30625943e broke magit/with-editor
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:48:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Stefan, your commit f30625943e on master somehow broke the magit
and/or with-editor packages by somehow breaking emacsclient, see:

  https://github.com/magit/with-editor/issues/111
  https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/4669

With stock-emacs when doing "emacsclient foo.txt", it just prints
"Waiting for Emacs..." but finishes immediately.  The existing emacs
doesn't have a foo.txt buffer thereafter.  "emacsclient -c foo.txt"
results in a new frame which has a foo.txt buffer but it is not
displayed in a window...

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 23, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-04-27 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: bc9be5449e1127bc1b05a6cad8471c6eba52c8e9
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-helpers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-helpers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-search hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-search
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-server hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-server
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-update hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-update
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contacts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contacts
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-folders hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-folders
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20220425.1314/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch
emacsbug so-long view puni pulse display-fill-column-indicator
auto-package-update finder-inf generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo
cargo-process rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile rust-cargo web-mode disp-table preview-latex auto-loads
tex-site editorconfig elfeed-show elfeed-search vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs debbugs-browse elfeed-csv elfeed
elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree generator url-queue
xml-query socks elpher hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode pdf-occur
tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view magit-bookmark bookmark jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode exif vc-git vc-dir ewoc
epa-file rdictcc diredfl dired-x mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar
org-capture org-refile icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org
mu4e-view org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mu4e-main mu4e-headers
mu4e-lists mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions smtpmail mu4e-search
mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util hl-line
mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-server mu4e-context
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers ido mu4e-meta ecomplete auto-dictionary flyspell
ispell tramp-smb which-key highlight-parentheses restclient kind-icon
svg-lib corfu yasnippet forge-list forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml forge-post
markdown-mode color thingatpt noutline outline forge-repo forge
forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section crm dash compat-27 compat-26
visual-filename-abbrev rg vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack advice rg-menu
transient comp comp-cstr compat rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep
rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep compile
debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd rng-dt
rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference vertico edmacro kmacro marginalia
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish ace-window avy elec-pair rx
recentf tree-widget pixel-scroll cua-base use-package-bind-key bind-key
saveplace savehist smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
sendmail yank-media rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils range doom-themes-ext-org doom-themes-ext-visual-bell
face-remap doom-Iosvkem-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base diminish
cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit
files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec easy-mmode info package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 835148 61455)
 (symbols 48 49796 11)
 (strings 32 245719 8853)
 (string-bytes 1 7800532)
 (vectors 16 110598)
 (vector-slots 8 1761956 85817)
 (floats 8 999 399)
 (intervals 56 3115 390)
 (buffers 992 16))