Subject: 23.1.91; load-file fails for C:/the-file.el.gz
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:01:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

 emacs -Q
 M-x load-file RET C:/the-file.el.gz RET

This signals an error: Wrong type argument: consp, nil.  The traceback
is as follows:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)
    jka-compr-load("c:/the-file.el.gz" nil nil t)
    apply(jka-compr-load ("c:/the-file.el.gz" nil nil t))
    jka-compr-handler(load "c:/the-file.el.gz" nil nil t)
    load("c:/the-file.el.gz" nil nil t)
    load-file("c:/the-file.el.gz")
    call-interactively(load-file t nil)
    execute-extended-command(nil)
    call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

This problem does not happen for files not in the root directory of a
Windows drive, e.g., C:/Temp/the-file.el.gz

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-01-22 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x l o a C-g M-x s e t - v a r <tab> <return> d e 
b <tab> o <tab> e <tab> <return> t <return> M-x l o 
a d - f i <tab> <return> C : / t h e - f i l e . e 
l . g z <return> C-x o M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> 
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Loading tramp...done
uncompressing the-file.el.gz...done
Loading c:/the-file.el.gz...done.
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug help-mode view debug jka-compr ange-ftp
tramp-imap epa derived epg epg-config imap-hash imap message smtpmail
sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev
nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils assoc tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-cache tramp-ftp
tramp-cmds tramp regexp-opt auth-source gnus-util netrc time-date advice
advice-preload shell comint ring password-cache format-spec tramp-compat
trampver cus-edit easymenu wid-edit cus-start cus-load help-fns tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev button minibuffer
faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process multi-tty emacs)