Subject: 29.0.50; decipher.el: (wrong-type-argument bufferp nil) when calling decipher-digram-list (and others)
From: Simon Pugnet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 07:37:44 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I recently found out about the decipher package, but when trying it I
get the following error: -

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument bufferp nil)
  decipher-stats-buffer(t)
  decipher-analyze-buffer()
  decipher-analyze()
  decipher-digram-list()
  funcall-interactively(decipher-digram-list)
  command-execute(decipher-digram-list)

To reproduce: -

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x decipher
3. Press D to call decipher-digram-list

I have tried the same steps in Emacs 27.2 and it appears to work
correctly.

Best regards,
Simon

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-03-18 built on palenque
Repository revision: ff89d27c07de4ac2efc695b06e8aa1faec5d65d1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json --with-modules
 --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Decipher

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-seq
cl-macs cl-extra help-mode message mailcap yank-media rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
decipher iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray cl-preloaded button
loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 82140 7431)
 (symbols 48 7249 1)
 (strings 32 20327 1869)
 (string-bytes 1 682319)
 (vectors 16 15695)
 (vector-slots 8 316972 17713)
 (floats 8 28 45)
 (intervals 56 223 0)
 (buffers 992 11))