Subject: 29.0.50; Tamil text not shaped in modeline
From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 22:25:48 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tamil text is not shaped properly in the modeline.  Please view the
attached file "Noto_Serif_modeline.jpg" to see what I mean.  I set
"tamil" script to use "Noto Serif Tamil" in the default fontset like so,

    (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'tamil '("Noto Serif Tamil" . "iso10646-1"))

Changing the font to "Lohit Tamil" [1] does not fix the shaping issue so
Noto Serif Tamil is not the problem (See file
"Lohit_Tamil_modeline.png").

As shown in "Noto_Serif_Expected.png", the text is shaped as I would
expect, in the minibuffer.

To see if this was specific to Tamil, I tried creating a buffer named
"मेरा" and "नमस्कार" ("mera" and "namaskaar C-b DEL" in devanagari-itrans)
but they are shaped better (but not the same as in-buffer text).  I also
set "devanagari" script to use "Noto Serif Devanagari" in the default
fontset.

I also see the problem in a GTK3 build of Emacs 27.2 (sorry, I do not
have the time to check Emacs 28 or Emacs 29 GTK3, PGTK build right now).

1. https://releases.pagure.org/lohit/lohit-tamil-ttf-2.91.3.tar.gz

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
Repository revision: 58bb9eb4005599155a8fce8d5c5beb531a72c534
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: NixOS 21.11 (Porcupine)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/0m0yw7b3zly74ljs3qmkblb780xg03id-emacs-git-20220130.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/07cbjwzil3jfhyifj15h60k7yvixzqxs-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/viz/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/07cbjwzil3jfhyifj15h60k7yvixzqxs-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/map/map hides /nix/store/0m0yw7b3zly74ljs3qmkblb780xg03id-emacs-git-20220130.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/map
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /nix/store/0m0yw7b3zly74ljs3qmkblb780xg03id-emacs-git-20220130.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow emacsbug ind-util thai-util thai-word lao-util enriched
find-dired shell-command+ subword-mode-expansions cap-words superword
subword nix-mode ffap smie nix-repl nix-shell nix-store magit-section
dash nix-instantiate nix-shebang nix-format nix follow dabbrev cal-iso
wdired t-mouse term/linux org-capture doct chemtable timezone nnfolder
gnus-draft tabify man hippie-exp siege-mode comp comp-cstr log-edit
pcvs-util add-log vc url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth sendmail lacarte
icomplete ecomplete writegood-mode cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs
mule-util cal-move calc-math calcalg2 calccomp calc-arith calc-alg
calc-aent calc-ext calc-misc calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
dired-aux pdf-sync pdf-outline pdf-links pdf-history org-agenda flyspell
ispell org-pdftools pdf-annot facemenu org-noter org-refile goto-addr
org-indent org-element avl-tree generator the-org-mode-expansions ob-C
cc-mode-expansions cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-shell shell ob-racket async
ob-async tempo ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol
org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cl-print debug backtrace
expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom pulse xref view descr-text
time-stamp misearch multi-isearch shortdoc help-fns radix-tree
face-remap reveal noutline outline recentf tree-widget executable vc-git
vc-dispatcher smerge-mode diff diff-mode gnus-fun flow-fill shr-color
color mm-archive sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml gnutls network-stream nsm nndraft nnmh nnmaildir
nnagent nnml nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message yank-media
rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range server paredit edmacro kmacro eros
time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt
hl-todo writegood-mode-autoloads wordel-autoloads sokoban-autoloads
ement-autoloads ts-autoloads s-autoloads map-autoloads plz-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads transmission-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads eros-autoloads
flymake-shellcheck-autoloads avy avy-autoloads siege-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
filladapt-autoloads compose quail scroll-other-window
org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads finder-inf
math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads ob-async-autoloads
async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads valign-autoloads
org-starless-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
easy-mmode pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars compile comint ansi-color
ring cus-edit wid-edit pdf-view password-cache bookmark
text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode dired-x dired dired-loaddefs exif
pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads tablist-autoloads derived
mb-depth cus-load repeat visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads time format-spec battery dbus filenotify xml
disp-table lacarte-autoloads shell-command-plus-autoloads rx icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
chemtable-autoloads molar-mass-autoloads pcase straight-autoloads info
cl-seq cl-extra help-mode straight cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
vz-nh-theme seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2101434 313772)
 (symbols 48 56342 74)
 (strings 32 371367 47970)
 (string-bytes 1 159337297)
 (vectors 16 144937)
 (vector-slots 8 3674344 378355)
 (floats 8 35189 1747)
 (intervals 56 182734 6086)
 (buffers 992 90))