Subject: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'
From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:07:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have a gnus installation where the select method is as such:

    ;;; Select Method
    (setq gnus-select-method
          '(nnimap "localimap"
                    (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                    (nnimap-address "xxxxxxxx.xxx")))

The IMAP server is Dovecot 2.3.17.1.  There's nothing special in the
group parameters for the INBOX folder, currently this:

    ((modseq . "6496")
     (uidvalidity . "1374073954")
     (active 1 . 2140)
     (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Seen %Draft gnus-forward gnus-download %*))

The group activation level is 1.

Mail splitting is currently being handled by sieve, not by Gnus.
However, when sieve leaves a message in INBOX rather than sorting it to
another folder, it does not appear in INBOX using `g'
(gnus-group-get-new-news).  Any mail that stays there does show up if I
use `M-g' (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) on the group.  This only
happens for the INBOX folder.  I don't believe INBOX should behave
differently from other folders in this regard.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-12 built on miko
Repository revision: f2fcea2716405aac9a3a6013b284b6b7be634725
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Load-path shadows:
/home/md5i/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug dabbrev shr-color color sieve-mode org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol
org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs grep copyright time-stamp whitespace mailalias
smtpmail sendmail help-fns radix-tree magit-patch magit-subtree
magit-gitignore magit-ediff magit-extras calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs misearch multi-isearch tabify man
generic sh-script smie executable goto-addr vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc bug-reference face-remap thingatpt
vc-git vc-dispatcher flow-fill gnus-fun jka-compr image-mode exif
dired-aux mule-util sort gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr qp gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 epa-file network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg gnus-demon nntp
gnus-group gnus-undo gnutls gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud gnus-spec
gnus-win flyspell ispell view pacproxy descr-text cus-edit pp cus-load
time sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util sgml-mode facemenu dom python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr picture
nm dbus xml magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient comp comp-cstr
warnings rx cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode format-spec magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm dash nnimap nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus
wid-edit nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2
url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068
epg-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
debian-el info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])