Subject: Re: bug#53207: 28.0.91; create-lockfiles nil breaks file change detection
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 14:31:34 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version 28.1

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

>> I've pushed ddba3c3dba to the emacs-28 branch. Tested with
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> # make -C test files-tests filelock-tests tramp-tests SELECTOR='"lock"'
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> for regression. I've tested also the recipe of the OP, it works now as
>> expected (like in Emacs 27.2).

I've added also a new test filelock-tests-detect-external-change on the
master branch, which checks the scenario of this bug. I haven't done
this for the emacs-28 branch, because it would need a slightly different
implementation. Doing the test on the master branch shall suffice, I believe.

>> The recipe of the OP does not work yet for remote files. I'll continue
>> to fix it, but this shouldn't stall the Emacs 28 release, because the
>> regression tests work also for them. I'll keep the bug open, until this
>> remote case has been fixed, too.
>
> Agreed.

Implementation for Tramp, plus a Tramp specific new test, has also been
pushed to the master branch. This is also kept in Tramp's
branch-2-5-stable branch, which means that it will appear with the next
Tramp ELPA package 2.5.2.2, and it will be merged to the emacs-28 branch
after the Emacs 28.1 release.

Closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.