Subject: 28.0.91; preedit style for X Input Method is not supported?
From: Hirofumi Kosaka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:44:15 +0900 (JST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello all,

The X Server that I use supports 'over-the-spot' for XIM (X Input
Method) preedit style, but the pretest version forces root window
style, that is the most basic style but not good enough for us CJK
users.

Emacs 27.2 (or earlier) works fine for it, but the pretest version
seems to ignore available preedit styles (X server provides) or so.

Regards,

***

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2022-01-11 built on ginrei
Windowing system distributor 'ASTEC, Inc.', version 11.0.6600
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.5 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/kosaka/pretest/emacs-28.0.91
 --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER
PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF X11 XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ASTEC_IMS
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/kosaka/custom/elisp/sequential-command hides /home/kosaka/.emacs.d/28.0.91/el-get/sequential-command/sequential-command
/home/kosaka/custom/elisp/sequential-command-config hides /home/kosaka/.emacs.d/28.0.91/el-get/sequential-command/sequential-command-config

Features:
(shadow mew-varsx mew-unix mew-auth mew-config mew-imap2 mew-imap
mew-nntp2 mew-nntp mew-pop mew-smtp mew-ssl mew-ssh mew-net
mew-highlight mew-sort mew-fib mew-ext mew-refile mew-demo mew-attach
mew-draft mew-message mew-thread mew-virtual mew-summary4 mew-summary3
mew-summary2 mew-summary mew-search mew-pick mew-passwd mew-scan
mew-syntax mew-bq mew-smime mew-pgp mew-header mew-exec mew-mark
mew-mime mew-edit mew-decode mew-encode mew-cache mew-minibuf
mew-complete mew-addrbook mew-local mew-vars3 mew-vars2 mew-vars
mew-env mew-lang-jp mew-mule3 mew-mule mew-gemacs mew-key mew-func
mew-blvs mew-const mew emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils mule-util jka-compr info
paredit expand-region text-mode-expansions the-org-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom
iy-go-to-char ox-md ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile
ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator
yasnippet server sequential-command-config org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol rx org-keys oc
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs sequential-command cl icomplete ffap thingatpt
edmacro kmacro use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core open-junk-file recentf-ext recentf tree-widget
wid-edit el-get-bundle el-get el-get-autoloading el-get-list-packages
el-get-dependencies el-get-build el-get-status pp el-get-methods
el-get-fossil el-get-svn el-get-pacman el-get-github-zip
el-get-github-tar el-get-http-zip el-get-http-tar el-get-hg el-get-go
el-get-git-svn el-get-fink el-get-emacswiki el-get-http el-get-notify
el-get-emacsmirror el-get-github el-get-git el-get-elpa package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars el-get-darcs el-get-cvs el-get-bzr
el-get-brew el-get-builtin el-get-apt-get el-get-recipes
el-get-byte-compile subr-x el-get-custom cl-extra help-mode seq
byte-opt gv cl-seq el-get-core autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr bytecomp
byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib japan-util
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 256840 5347)
 (symbols 48 25528 45)
 (strings 32 96275 1158)
 (string-bytes 1 3062034)
 (vectors 16 41336)
 (vector-slots 8 527224 12173)
 (floats 8 122 93)
 (intervals 56 4955 0)
 (buffers 992 12))