Subject: Re: [bug#52497] [PATCH] gnu: boost-signals2: Update hash
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Aleksandr Vityazev <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 01:57:15 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Aleksandr,

Aleksandr Vityazev 写道：
> * gnu/packages/boost (boost-signals2): [source]: Update hash.

Thanks!

Hash changes happen… ‘but they shouldn't’.  Commit messages should 
not imply that they're routine.

The diff is quite significant:

  $ git diff 10b030be782b979509cee15e0f0afde59d2f9581..\
    4a51d6e47230123d413cbecb19eb94f195301b8e | wc -l
  1829

We should record the two commits in the change log.

10b030b is from October 2019.  Boost 1.77.0 wasn't released until 
August 2021[0].

The boost-1.77.0 tag hasn't been moved from 4a51d6e since June 
2021.  It seems likely that upstream creates boost-X.Y.Z tags 
targetting unreleased future Boost versions, moves them freely, 
but stops once that Boost version is released.

That's something we could document in a comment, at least.

I'll ask for confirmation on their bug tracker.

Only two formatting nitpicks:

> gnu: boost-signals2: Update hash

Missing ‘.’.

> * gnu/packages/boost (boost-signals2): [source]: Update hash.

Drop the first ‘: ’.

Pushed as 04b6e1ed265e64a004c7ea93018179785b979f31 with those 
changes.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2021/08/0593.php