Subject: 29.0.50; remove non-CAPs from rcirc capability list
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:08:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: minor

Hi Philip,

Nice job on the v3 stuff. I happened across a couple capabilities being
requested that don't officially exist, a distinction you've probably
picked up on in the course of pursuing this work [1]. The couple that
slipped by are always NAK'd but basically harmless, so you may just want
to leave 'em or otherwise go your own way. If so, please ignore this.

Thanks,
J.P.

P.S. The CTCP "KEEPALIVE" in the ergo session below jumped out at me;
just FYI in case that's of any interest.

[1] For others who may be wondering, the specs are still a bit rough
    when it comes to denoting with any consistency when an extension has
    a corresponding ("requestable") capability. For example, some
    extensions (like STS) have caps that are strictly server-only,
    meaning you, a client, shouldn't REQ them. Other caps are only
    effectively server-only, meaning it doesn't matter if you REQ them
    or not (negated or otherwise). And some extensions (like the two in
    this bug) don't offer caps at all. This has confused me enough over
    the years that I've taken to looking to other clients as well as WG
    chatter on Github for clues, which can get old pretty fast.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-10-15 built on localhost
Repository revision: ca3d7234d39fd55e6cd4521e5e583aba12434402
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --program-prefix= --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin
 --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share
 --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz
 --with-cairo --with-json build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 50942 5933)
 (symbols 48 6632 1)
 (strings 32 18373 2087)
 (string-bytes 1 622208)
 (vectors 16 13731)
 (vector-slots 8 186505 9804)
 (floats 8 21 35)
 (intervals 56 259 0)
 (buffers 992 10))
From 2d7f5116525e0679721519faa240d7fd7ca23ccf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "F. Jason Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 22:17:18 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Don't request phony capabilities in rcirc

* lisp/net/rcirc.el (rcirc-implemented-capabilities): Remove
non-capability extensions but document that they're supported.
---
 lisp/net/rcirc.el | 7 +++++--
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/net/rcirc.el b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
index 52d74a3394..f8c7ea41bc 100644
--- a/lisp/net/rcirc.el
+++ b/lisp/net/rcirc.el
@@ -622,11 +622,9 @@ rcirc-implemented-capabilities
   '("message-tags"                      ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/message-tags
     "server-time"                       ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/server-time
     "batch"                             ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/batch
-    "message-ids"                       ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/message-ids
     "invite-notify"                     ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/invite-notify
     "sasl"                              ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/sasl-3.1
     "multi-prefix"                      ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/multi-prefix
-    "standard-replies"                  ;https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/standard-replies
     ;; The following capabilities should be implemented as soon as
     ;; their specifications are undrafted:
     ;;
@@ -644,6 +642,11 @@ rcirc-acked-capabilities
 (defvar-local rcirc-finished-sasl t
   "Check whether SASL authentication has completed.")
 
+;; Other supported extensions
+;;
+;;   message-ids                         https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/message-ids
+;;   standard-replies                    https://ircv3.net/specs/extensions/standard-replies
+
 (defun rcirc-get-server-method (server)
   "Return authentication method for SERVER."
   (catch 'method
-- 
2.31.1