Subject: Re: bug#50728: Update Pandoc (just on my machine)
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:57:19 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

[email-masked] writes:

> I know that there is this issue:
>
> http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39798
>
> And it was closed because Guix wants to stay with the LTS version of
> Haskell.
>
> But I need to use some features that come in later versions of pandoc.
>
> A few of my static site generator projects break because I need features
> that come after 2.7.x, which is the version that Guix packages.
>
> Can someone explain to me how to package the latest pandoc just on my
> own computer?
>
> Thanks.

The first step is configuring a development setup as explained in "info
'(guix)Contributing" sections.

Then you'd want to update the version and source fields with the new
version details (guix hash -rx on the checkout or guix download
https://tarball-url) to retrieve the new hash.

Then you'd summarily review the new sources for important changes such
as a change to their licensing.  A Changelog or NEWS file can be helpful
to understand what has changed, if available.

Then you'd start iterating on building the new package with something
like:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build pandoc

If it's your lucky day it'll build without any change; but if it's a
major update you might have to modify the inputs or even update them in
prior commits.

Good luck!

If you have further questions, please ask on the [email-masked]
mailing list.  I'll close this bug, as this tracker should remain focus
on actual bugs rather than update/packaging requests.

Thanks,

Maxim