Subject: Can't guix system init with grub-efi-bootloader from system that boots using grub-bootloader
From: Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:33:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

I'm trying to install guix to a new drive using my main machine which boots
using grub-bootloader (legacy bios).  I want to put grub-efi-bootloader
(EFI) on the new drive install (for use on another computer).  However, the
install fails when running grub-install.  The full output at the end is:

copying to '/mnt/jake'...
populating '/mnt/jake'...
guix system: error:
'/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/sbin/grub-install
--boot-directory /mnt/jake/boot --bootloader-id=Guix --efi-directory
/boot/efi' exited with status 1; output follows:

/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/sbin/grub-install:
error:
/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh
doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.

I'm not sure if the fact that I'm currently booted in legacy bios mode is
important, but the problem persists after a guix pull && guix
system reconfigure, and I doubt grub-efi is broken for everyone.

Thanks,
zacchae