Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/3] Add 'generic-git' updater
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:47:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Changes since v2:
>
> * Address the feedback by Ludovic and Sarah.
>
> One problem I noticed was that when ‘accept-pre-releases?’ is #t, a tag
> like “1-2-3-alpha” would turn into “1.2.3.alpha”, but I think the
> correct version string would be “1.2.3-alpha”.
>
> I solved the problem by making the pre-release part a separate regexp
> group, and then appending the pre-release part after extracting the
> version from the tag.  That way, the “-” in “-alpha” would not be
> interpreted as a version delimiter.  I also added a new test for testing
> this.

I think that’s fine; this is all guesswork anyway, and there are always
cases where we’ll get it wrong.  What’s useful though is tests to guard
against regressions in the heuristics.

> One of the tests in tests/channels.scm is failing; I am not sure why.
> Before the first and second patches were applied, 6 of them were failing
> for me, so I guess it’s an improvement.  However, on IRC, Ludovic said
> that all of them were passing (prior to apply my patches).  It would
> be great if people could run the tests before and after applying
> patches, and see if they pass.

Turns out that the failure in tests/channels.scm was a real bug:
‘channel-news-entry-commit’ was not resolving annotated tags correctly
(it would return the ID of the tag instead of the ID of the commit
pointed to by the tag).  Fixed in
778c1fb4eabbb48c05f6c7555c89466d5249ebce.

>   tests: git: Don't read from the users global Git config file.
>   tests: git: Make 'tag' directive non-interactive.
>   import: Add 'generic-git' updater.

Applied!  I changed the second patch to preserve support for
non-annotated tags and to leave tests/channels.scm unchanged.

BTW, “git tag xyz” is not interactive AFAICS.

Thanks Sarah & Xinglu for this work!  Let’s update our packages!  :-)

Ludo’.