Subject: 23.1.50; error on loading message library
From: Robert Marshall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:00:51 +0000

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

If I start emacs and evaluate the following code

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function  'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "www.tnei.co.uk")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "tnei.co.uk")
(setq user-full-name "Robert Marshall")
(setq user-mail-address "[email-masked]")

and then M-x load-library tramp I get the following tracback
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable mail-envelope-from)
  (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from)
  eval((if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from))
  custom-initialize-reset(message-sendmail-envelope-from (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from))
  custom-declare-variable(message-sendmail-envelope-from (if (featurep (quote xemacs)) nil mail-envelope-from) ("/home/robert/emacs/lisp/gnus/message.elc" . -29489) :version "22.1" :type (choice (string :tag "From name") (const :tag "Use From: header from message" header) (const :tag "Use `user-mail-address'" nil)) :link (custom-manual "(message)Mail Variables") :group message-sending)
  require(message)
; bytecode removed
  require(tramp-imap)
; rest of tb removed

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/home/robert/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

Note that the following is not all correct - I can't report a bug with
the latest version (got from cvs this morning) due to this problem!

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-06 on robert-laptop
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <select-window> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Preparing diary...
No diary entries for Monday, 23 November 2009
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/robert/emacs/lisp/subword hides /home/robert/emacs/lisp/progmodes/subword
/home/robert/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/lucid hides /home/robert/emacs/lisp/obsolete/lucid
/home/robert/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/levents hides /home/robert/emacs/lisp/obsolete/levents

Features:
(shadow mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash
mail-utils emacsbug sendmail cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs
regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)