Subject: Re: bug#49881: [PATCH] gnu: mpfr-boot: Use gmp-boot as a dependency
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 00:14:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Thiago Jung Bauermann <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Em quarta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2021, às 18:49:03 -03, Ludovic Courtès 
> escreveu:

[...]

>> Indeed.  However, it turns out that ‘gmp-boot’, ‘mpfr-boot’, and
>> ‘mpc-boot’ are not actually used as dependencies; we only ever use their
>> source.
>> 
>> I propose to instead make that explicit with the patch below.  WDYT?
>
> I think it’s a great solution! Much simpler than my patches for this issue 
> and also 49880 and 49882. Thank you very much for working on it.
>
> I also confirmed that with your patch, ‘gmp-boot’, ‘mpfr-boot’, and ‘mpc-
> boot’ “build” correctly on powerpc64le-linux (not that it really matters), 
> and they also “build” correctly on i686-linux. The latter system also 
> builds ‘gcc-core-mesboot1’ correctly.

Awesome, pushed as b417dde293080184dae9098e408849a237903a84.

> Out of curiosity, why did the CI even try to build ‘gmp-boot’, ‘mpfr-boot’, 
> and ‘mpc-boot’ on powerpc64le-linux? They’re not public packages, and 
> moreover they are only dependencies of ‘gcc-core-mesboot1’ which is only 
> relevant on i686-linux…

That comes from commit 37861f6c293d7ed1033050b2b0597885ba65186f.  The
motivation was to ensure that substitutes for these intermediate
packages would be available on the ci.guix front-end node.  Failing to
do that, Cuirass would not attempt fetch them from build nodes on the
front-end node.

Sorry that this caused a false alarm!

Thanks,
Ludo’.