Subject: Re: bug#49723: 28.0.50; Test in coding.c for NUL bytes in filenames is not reliable
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 09:51:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Federico Tedin <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:00:08 +0200
> 
> > Thanks.  Did you run the test suite after applying the changes, and
> > did you see no regressions?  If you didn't yet run the test suite,
> > please be sure to run all of it, as the use of expand-file-name is
> > universal.
> 
> I hadn't, so I checked out master aa59d38c59 and applied my patch on top
> of it. I then ran "make check" and waited for a bit. There appears to be
> only two tests failing in test/lisp/time-stamp-tests.el
> ('time-stamp-format-day-of-week' and
> 'time-stamp-format-string-width'). Both seem to be unrelated to my
> change; maybe it's my system's strange combination of
> Spanish/English/German locale-related configurations (I'm attaching the
> log just in case). All other test files were run without problems.

Thanks.  I installed your changes, and I'm therefore closing this bug.

A few minor stylistic comments, for the future

 . the lines in the commit log message are too wide, they should be at
   most 66 characters, because we produce ChangeLog files from Girt
   logs, and ChangeLog files have the fill-column set to 74, which
   includes 9-column TAB (perhaps this means the fill-column setting
   in .dire-locals.el should be amended?)
 . please quote symbols in commit log messages rather than leaving
   them unquoted (this doesn't apply to symbols in parentheses that
   state the functions which were changed)
 . please try to establish whether the changes need to be described in
   the manual(s), and mark the NEWS entries accordingly (if you decide
   there's a need to describe in the manual, please also include a
   suitable change for that)

Thanks again for working on this.