Subject: Dead key misery
From: Daniel Pfeiffer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:01:43 +0100

Long ago NEWS.19 got this delightful entry:

** Dead-key and composite character processing is done in the standard
X11R6 manner (through the default "input method" using the
/usr/lib/X11/locale/*/Compose databases of key combinations).  I.e. if
it works in xterm, it should also work in emacs now.

This has long since stopped working.  I found a workaround of (require 
'iso-transl), which handles a few cases but not even a western European 
dead-cedilla is handled.  Even if I do (require 'ogonek), dead-ogonek is 
not handled.  All other programs still do this fine, why did Emacs 
forget about this?

Btw. this is Ubuntu 9.10 and the file name is 
/usr/*share*/X11/locale/*/Compose but I guess configure, which I ran 
from CVS should have detected that.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- 
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                    http://lernu.net  /  http://ikurso.net