Subject: 'shuf' returns nothing if the low range number is higher by 1 than the high number
From: F8ER F8ER <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 01:46:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear GNU Developers,

Thank you very much for the project.

It seems, if the low range number is higher by 1 than the high number,
the program returns

nothing (with exit code = 0), while 102-100 results in an error and
100-100 returns 100 as expected.

For example, `shuf -i 101-100 -n 1` returns nothing with the exit code
= 0 (unexpected).

Expected (normal):

`shuf -i 100-101 -n 1` returns either 100 or 101 with an exit code = 0.

`shuf -i 100-100 -n 1` returns 100 with an exit code = 0.

`shuf -i 102-100 -n 1` results in an error with an exit code = 1.

Is that an expected behavior?

Stay safe!

Best and kind regards